Sunday, April 28, 2019

Welcome Megan!


Hello! My name is Megan Edic. I am a first time marmoteer here at RMBL and am excited to see what the marmots and weather have in store for us!

I attended Northern Michigan University on a cross country skiing and running scholarship – so feel right at home zipping around RMBL this snowy spring season! I have worked as an environmental consultant, first monitoring Oregon spotted frog populations in Sun River, Oregon and then analyzing soil contamination in Fairbanks, Alaska. My interests have recently turned to ecology and animal behavior and I have thoroughly enjoyed joining the Blumstein lab to gain research experience and contribute to this long term study! I am currently working on a project studying the genetic factors that influence the hibernation emergence date in our furry friends.

This year has seen record snow fall in Gothic, CO, but surprisingly the past week here has been full of sunshine, hot temperatures, and fast melting snow. So far quite a few marmots have emerged up and down valley including the Gothic Townsite where King Dandelion has been roaming around the cabins collecting dried plants and checking on his numerous lady friends. His main, Stitches and their four adorable yearlings make the time recording social observations fly by! I am excited to be here and look forward to trapping the marmots later this spring!



No comments:

Post a Comment