Sunday, April 28, 2019

Welcome Sam!


Hey I am Sam Beckert and I just completed my bachelors at UCLA! I’ve always had a passion for wildlife and the outdoors and somehow lucked out with this amazing opportunity to work at the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory in Gothic, Colorado! I will be here all spring and summer focusing on marmots, and I am currently analyzing their social network positions.
We’ve only been here a little over a week and already so much has happened. We’ve been busy identifying the emergences of different colonies and marmots, while also getting trained to observe social behaviors. Already, I’ve noticed that each marmot has a totally unique personality! Additionally, the yearlings are adorable when they all play together, and make me excited to experience my first pup season this summer. In my spare time here I love to photograph or video the wildlife, and have already had a stunning fox sighting.

While the snow is beautiful I can’t wait for the wildflowers to begin popping up, and for the deer and moose to arrive.

Also, I’ve been told that some of the marmots collect little bouquets of flowers, which I can’t wait to see! Until then, here’s a little clip of Dandelion carrying some old grass towards his burrow while tail flagging.



No comments:

Post a Comment