Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Marmot Cake Tradition

One of the great things about working in the lab, besides being surrounded by interesting research in the mountains, was that Dan frequently had potlucks for the marmoteers. A joke between myself (Kathleen) and another marmoteer quickly escalated into reality when I created a marmot cake for a potluck. With the help of my friend Annie, who was an amazing cook in the dining hall, I created a cake that was shaped like a marmot. I’ll be the first to admit that it looked more like a cross between a pig and a bear than a marmot but everyone in the lab enjoyed our creation.


I returned my second summer with a super secret mission, that didn’t involve science but rather baking. I wanted to perfect the marmot cake and I knew exactly what it should be, a rear looking marmot (standing on its hind legs). As I began carving it in the dining hall I ran into my artistic friend Dewey, who helped bring the cake to life. Thus the marmot cake tradition was born. If only Dan knew what was in store for him and the marmoteers when he chose me, an avid creative baker, as his REU student!



No comments:

Post a Comment