Thursday, December 2, 2010

Meet Team Marmot's Jeffrey Sanker: The countdown is over!

The countdown is over!

Hello, my name is Jeffrey Sanker and I am a second year, undergraduate Biology major at UCLA. I’ve recently started working in the Blumstein lab at the beginning of the Fall 2010 quarter.

While in the lab, I look at blood slides taken from a number of marmots in order to preform cell counts. I tally the number of lymphocytes, neutrophils, monocytes, eosinophils, basophils, and trypanosomes observed in each blood slide.

Each slide examined is a small adventure. I never know what to expect when looking at each one under a microscope. There are times when the layer of cells are so thick that it is difficult to distinguish between certain types of cells. There are other times when identifying cells can be tedious due to the number of lymphocytes and neutrophils on a given slide being very scarce.

It is nearing the end of the Fall 2010 quarter and I am glad to announce that all two-hundred and fifty blood slides have been surveyed and their respective cell types accounted for. Currently, I am entering data recorded from each slide into the computer.

My hands-on work in the lab with Team Marmot has been an incredible experience and I look forward to coming to the Blumstein lab every day.

-- Jeffrey Sanker

No comments:

Post a Comment