Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Late for work?


Hello world! My name is Lawrance Chung and I have been working at UCLA in Dan Blumstein’s lab for the past quarter. Hopefully most of us don’t find ourselves in this situation too often, but sometimes we are just so tired, that we can’t wake up in the morning. I recently found myself in this position and I was late to lab, but I had a good reason. I saved a life!

As part of the Care Extenders program, I volunteer in the Emergency Room during the night. It just so happened that I was volunteering the night before and an elderly lady needed CPR. Luckily, I happened to be in the right place and at the right time to help her. After around eight minutes, though it felt much longer for me, of CPR we were able to get her heart beating again. It was definitely a successful night.

One thing I didn’t expect was how sore my arms would be afterwards. I was honestly tried. So now, the next time I don’t feel like getting out of bed in the morning, I try to see if I have a better excuse than saving a life, and if I don’t, I get up and head to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment