Friday, November 12, 2010

Meet Team Marmot: Amanda Lea



About me:
I recently graduated from the University of California: Los Angeles with a degree in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. I've participated in research projects encompassing molecular, population, and quantitative genetics, as well as behavioral ecology, evolution, and conservation biology. To date, I've studied baboons, marmots, kangaroo rats, dik diks, and foxes throughout the US and abroad. I am fascinated by the natural world and the critters that populate it, with a specific interest in the genetic causes and consequences of behavior in natural populations. I am currently employed as a teaching and research assistant at UCLA, but will be starting my PhD in the fall of 2011.

About me and marmots:
I joined team marmot in the summer of 2008, when I arrived at the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory to trap and observe marmots. Following the field season, I completed an honors thesis with guidance from Professor Dan Blumstein (and with the help of Julien Martin). My thesis work focused on the quantitative genetics of ecologically relevant traits in marmots (which you can read more about in my other blog posts). Following graduation, I spent some time working with Stephens' kangaroo rats and Olive baboons, but eventually returned to the Blumstein lab as a research assistant. These days, I can be found in the genetics lab (pipette in hand), in front of my computer staring at spreadsheets, or pulling my hair out as I try to revise papers.

About the photos:
Pictures taken by my fellow researchers (Raquel Monclus, Liv Baker, and Jes Graham) as I was hard at work.


No comments:

Post a Comment