Friday, May 31, 2019

Welcome Austin!


Hi everyone, I am Austin Nash and this summer is my first at RMBL. It was still quite snowy when I arrived here on May 20th and I cannot wait to watch spring unfold around me.
I love being outdoors and whether I am fly fishing, trail running, or wildlife watching I am quite content. Observing the marmots of the East River Valley has been a treat and I am excited to continue my work in the field.
            As snowstorms have come and gone I have seen the landscape and the marmots themselves change quite a bit. Some days at the beginning or end of a storm, with snow lightly falling, the marmots will do no more than stand next to their burrows before retreating back inside. However, on warm sunny days I have seen rambunctious yearlings play boxing and wrestling! I have especially enjoyed seeing my neighbors Stitches, Campfire, and Kite sitting on the porches of the cabins next to mine as I do the same.
 I am originally from Los Angeles, about three minutes from the beach, but the mountains have always been a part of my life. I started downhill skiing at 4 years old in the Sierras. In college I have enjoyed much closer access to the mountains and the wonderful ecological gradients they hold. I just finished my first year at the University of Colorado at Boulder, where I study Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and have begun getting to know the Rocky Mountains and its wonderful wildlife. In high school, I conducted field research on the impacts of stormwater runoff on Giant Kelp and the effect of recreation on wildlife activity and diversity. I have also worked hands on with Nurse Sharks as a research assistant in Belize. With the marmots, I am looking at how parasites and stress affect the probability of a marmot alarm calling. Working with the Blumstein Lab is a precious opportunity and I can’t wait to learn from all of my amazing labmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment